Welcome students and parents to my webpage! This is my 19th year teaching Physical Education at El Sereno Middle School. My teaching philosophy is to create a positive learning environment that is both challenging and fun for all students. Physical Education students are offered the opportunity to learn and develop lifelong healthy practices. I expect all my Physical Ed. students to be successful this 2018-19 school year. Parents/guardians I greatly appreciate your support and contribution to the success of your child. If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me during my conference period (5th Per.), or via school email.
Mr. Tellez' Physical Ed. Class Expectations:
Physical Education Standards
The student will be able to:
- Demonstrate competency/proficiency in many movement forms
- Apply movement concepts and principles to the learning and development of motor skills
- Develop appropriate social behaviors by working independently and with others
Students will be able to earn 6 points every class meeting and up to 30 points per week for doing the following:
- Dress (purple PE shorts, grey PE shirt and athletic shoes). As an alternative, grey colored sweats are allowed.
- Be on time (sitting appropriately on assigned roll call number ready for instruction)
- Participation in all class activities (warm-up, sports unit and run days)
- Good behavior & sportsmanship (being respectful toward all classmates and of Mr.Tellez)
- Do not bring your own sports equipment to P.E. class (basketballs, soccer balls, footballs, etc.)
*Students will be marked tardy/absent and lose points for not sitting on assigned roll call number during roll call.
**When absent please do a one page sports report to make up your absence. (For example, if absent two days you would be expected to turn in two sports reports upon your return. Make-up sports reports will be accepted no later than the end of the week of your return to school. If you do not do a sports report to make up your absence you will lose all 6 points per day. Please make an effort to make-up your absences as points are valuable to your overall grade in PE!
Physical Fitness and Running
Students will run 1-2 times per week for approximately 20-30 minutes to improve cardiovascular fitness. The running will not be overly strenuous, but rather challenge students within their fitness level to improve. Pacing and proper breathing techniques will be taught and emphasized throughout the school year. 8 laps (two miles) around a standard size track will be the maximum required run distance. The One-mile run (4 laps) will be timed accordingly at least once a week. Mile time standards are based on California physical fitness standards for ages 11-14 for boys and girls.
A= 11:00 & under
D= 15:01 and over
F= Incomplete mile
Cardio Run (30 min)
A= 8 laps
B= 7 laps
C= 6 laps
D= 5 laps
F= 4 laps or less
F 59% & below