Parents, teachers, and school officials have agreed that school uniforms are a positive and creative way to reduce discipline problems and increase school safety.GOAL:
In order to promote school safety, improve discipline and enhance the learning environment, all students will abide by the school’s uniform policy. Some of the benefits of the school uniform include:
Therefore, El Sereno Middle School has adopted the following dress code for all students:Students are to wear:
- Decreasing violence and theft – even life-threatening situations – among students over designer clothing or expensive sneakers;
- Preventing gang members from wearing gang colors and insignia at school;
- Instilling students with discipline and school spirit/pride;
- Helping parents and students resist peer pressure;
- Helping students concentrate on their school work; and
- Helping school officials recognize intruders who may enter campus.
For PE Classes:
- Navy blue or khaki pants or shorts (not saggy or oversized);
- Navy blue or khaki jumpers, skirts or skorts;
- Solid navy blue, white, or khaki collar shirt/blouse;
- School uniforms to be worn to field trips unless specific attire is required for a particular trip or activity;
- Approved spirit/club/class shirts to be worn on Wednesdays only.
Approved El Sereno Middle School shorts and t-shirt.Restrictions:
- PE clothes should be worn during PE only;
- Jackets/sweatshirt hoods are not to be worn;
- Hats/Caps may not be worn;
- Long t-shirts may not be worn;
- Belt buckles with any letters or inappropriate designs may not be worn;
- Sandals and/or slippers may not be worn;
- Jewelry that is determined to be unsafe or a distraction to the learning process may not be worn
- Students are expected to be in a school uniform daily;
- When students are out of compliance and sent to the dress code room, they are expected to change into a school-issued uniform and return to class promptly with a pass;
- When dress code is closed, students are to go to one of the Deans and obtain a stamp on their dress code pass before returning to class.
- Provide incentives to students for compliance with policy;
- Students out of dress code compliance must be sent by teachers and staff to dress code room with a dress code pass;
- Students out of dress code before school will be escorted to dress code;
- Supervision staff will conduct lunch-time dress code round ups and random classroom checks and escort students to dress code;
- Dress code supervisor will return inappropriate clothing to parents only.